You should speak with a health care provider or nursing assistant if:
- You think you may be expecting
- The next period is much more than seven days late
- Your duration is smaller or lighter than typical
- You have got any unexpected or uncommon discomfort in your reduced abdomen (this may be an indication of a ectopic maternity, the place where a fertilised egg implants outs
The crisis contraceptive capsule may communicate with other medications. These generally include:
- The medicine that is herbal John’s Wort
- Some medications utilized to deal with epilepsy
- Some medications utilized to deal with HIV
- Some medications utilized to deal with tuberculosis (TB)
- Medicine such as for example omeprazole (an antacid) to produce your belly less acid
EllaOne is not utilized as it may not be effective if you are already taking one of these medicines.
Levonelle may nevertheless be utilized, nevertheless the dosage may prefer to be increased – your pharmacist or doctor can advise about this.
There must be no discussion amongst the crisis have a peek at the link pill & most antibiotics. Two enzyme-inducing antibiotics (called rifampicin and rifabutin), used to deal with or prevent meningitis or TB, may affect ellaOne while they’re being taken as well as for 28 times a short while later.
Should you want to be sure your medications are safe to just simply take with all the crisis contraceptive tablet, pose a question to your GP or a pharmacist. Its also wise to browse the client information leaflet that is included with your medications.
Can the emergency is got by me contraceptive supplement ahead of time?
You might be in a position to get the crisis contraceptive supplement prior to having sex that is unprotected:
- You may be concerned about your method that is contraceptive failing
- You’re taking place getaway
- You can not get your hands on crisis contraception effortlessly
Pose a question to your GP or nursing assistant for more information on getting advance crisis contraception.
The IUD as crisis contraception
The intrauterine device (IUD) is a little, T-shaped contraceptive unit produced from synthetic and copper. It’s inserted to the womb by an experienced wellness professional. It might avoid an egg from implanting in your womb or being fertilised.
In the event that you’ve had unsafe sex, the IUD may be placed as much as five times afterward, or as much as five times following the earliest time you can have ovulated, to stop maternity. It’s more efficient at preventing maternity compared to the crisis product, plus it doesn’t communicate with any kind of medicine.
You may also elect to have the IUD left in as an ongoing way of contraception.
Just exactly just How effective could be the IUD at preventing maternity?
There are numerous forms of IUD. Newer ones have significantly more copper consequently they are significantly more than 99% effective. Less than two feamales in 100 whom utilize a more recent IUD over 5 years will get pregnant. IUDs with less copper inside them are less efficient than this, but they are nevertheless effective. The IUD works better as compared to crisis capsule at preventing maternity after unsafe sex.
Who is able to utilize the IUD?
Nearly all women may use an IUD, including ladies who have not been expecting and people who are HIV good. Your GP or clinician will enquire about your health background to check on if an IUD would work for you personally.
You must not make use of an IUD when you have:
- An untreated STI or a pelvic disease
- Particular abnormalities regarding the womb or cervix
- Any bleeding that is unexplained your vagina – for example, between periods or after intercourse
Women that have a heart condition should consult their GP or cardiologist before having an IUD installed.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
The IUD shouldn’t be placed if you have a danger which you may currently be expecting. The IUD can be utilized safely if you’re breastfeeding, however the threat of problems during insertion is somewhat greater.
Do you know the relative unwanted effects for the IUD
Complications after having an IUD fitted are uncommon, but can add pain, illness, injury to the womb or expulsion (the IUD coming from the womb). If you are using the IUD as a continuing approach to regular contraception, it might probably create your durations much longer, heavier or higher painful.
The IUD as well as other medications
The emergency IUD shall perhaps not respond with every other medicine.
Where am I able to get crisis contraception?
You will get the crisis contraceptive supplement additionally the IUD for free of:
- A GP surgery that delivers contraception (some GP surgeries might not offer the IUD)
- A contraception hospital
- A health clinic that is sexual
- Some genitourinary medication (GUM) clinics
- Some teenagers’s clinics (phone our helpline that is sexual on 22 44 88)
You may also obtain the crisis contraceptive capsule clear of:
- Many pharmacies
- Some injuries units that are minor
- Some Accident & crisis departments
A doctor or nursing assistant the thing is that may ask when it comes to after information:
- If you have had non-safe sex in your present cycle that is menstrual
- The date of this day that is first of final duration and also the typical amount of your period
- Information on any contraceptive failure (such as for instance exactly how many pills you could have missed, as soon as)
- If you have utilized any medicines which could impact your contraception
If you should be aged 13 or higher, you may get contraception through the most of community pharmacies in Scotland, frequently totally free. You can buy the emergency contraceptive pill from most pharmacies if you are not eligible for NHS Scotland services. The price differs, nonetheless it shall be around ?30 to ?35.
Contraception for future years
If you are maybe not using a regular way of contraception, you may give consideration to doing this to be able to reduce the possibility of unintended maternity. Long-acting reversible contraception (LARC) supplies the most dependable security against maternity, and you also need not think you have sex about it every day or each time.
LARC methods are the:
Where can it is got by me?
This will depend which type of crisis contraception you utilize. There are two main practices:
- The emergency contraceptive tablet (early morning after pill) – there are two main kinds, Levonelle or ellaOne
- The intrauterine device (IUD, or coil)
Crisis contraception prevents maternity if:
- You have not used contraception
- Your method that is usual of has unsuccessful
Crisis contraception shouldn’t be utilized as opposed to your typical way of contraception.
The earlier you utilize crisis contraception after having non-safe sex, the greater amount of effective it really is. For lots more information, observe how effective is crisis contraception?
The crisis contraceptive tablet
Levonelle is present totally free without having a prescription. You will get it from many pharmacies and in addition from your own GP or health clinic that is sexual. Make use of our nationwide provider Directory to locate nearest pharmacy, GP surgery or intimate wellness hospital.
Levonelle and ellaOne are both available totally free. You may get them from most community pharmacies and in addition from your own GP or health clinic that is sexual.
Levonelle is taken within 72 hours (three times) of getting unsafe sex, but it is most reliable if taken within 12 hours of getting sex that is unprotected.
You are taking one Levonelle tablet. It really works by stopping or ovulation that is delayingas soon as your ovaries launch an egg).
EllaOne may be taken within 120 hours (five times) of experiencing unsafe sex, but it is best if taken at the earliest opportunity after having non-safe sex.
You take one ellaOne tablet. It prevents or delays ovulation and causes it to be more challenging for a egg that is fertilised implant into the womb.
The IUD (intrauterine device) can be obtained from:
- Contraception clinics
- Brook centers
- Most health that is sexual (GUM clinics)
- Many GP surgeries
The IUD is put inside your womb. It damages both the semen additionally the egg, and stops an egg that is fertilised in your womb.
It should be fitted by a doctor within five times of having unsafe sex, or, whether or not it’s feasible to calculate once you ovulate, as much as five times when you ovulate. The IUD is one of effective kind of crisis contraception.
It is possible to keep carefully the IUD in as your method that is regular of, or a medical practioner can take it off through your next duration.
Emergency contraception might never be suited to every person. Discover more about crisis contraception.
If you are unwell
If you are unwell (vomit) within three hours of taking Levonelle or ellaOne, get hold of your GP. You may have to take another capsule.
Exactly just just How effective can it be?
It depends which kind of crisis contraception you employ and just how quickly you utilize it.
There are two main types of crisis contraception:
- The crisis contraceptive pill – or morning-after product – referred to as Levonelle or ellaOne
- The copper IUD (intrauterine unit, or coil)
Crisis contraception prevents pregnancy when you yourself haven’t utilized contraception or think your typical approach to contraception has failed.